2012 YAMAHA FZ8
The FZ8 is a do-it-all sport bike with amazing all around
performance for both the urban commando and the weekend canyon
carver. And at 800cc it splits the difference between a 600 and
1000cc litre bike so you get lightweight handling along with great
torque... all in a stylish upright package.
- The 779cc engine combines top end components, including
ceramic-composite-coated cylinders and forged aluminum pistons,
with a carefully optimized crankshaft to deliver the perfect power
curve and torquey performance character for this category.
- The FZ8 fills the gap for sport riders who feel a 600cc is too
small and a 1000cc is too big.
- Muscular, naked bike styling gives an aggressive, mass-forward
stance. This bike screams attitude.
- Comfortable, upright riding position with a compact design that
contributes to the bike’s first-rate handling. This bike simply
excels, both in the morning commute and on that spirited weekend
ride on a twisty back country road.
- Cast aluminum frame and Controlled-Fill aluminum swingarm is
lightweight and provides the ideal rigidity balance for outstanding
- New 779cc liquid-cooled, 4-stroke, inline 4-cylinder, 4-valve
engine delivers smooth power delivery and gobs of torque in the low
to mid rpm range. But this engine also lets loose with eye-opening
horsepower when the revs climb toward redline.
- Fuel-injection with 35mm diameter throttle bodies has optimum
intake efficiency and smooth throttle response. Provides precise
fuel/air mixtures for awesome power delivery across the rpm range.
- Compact, pent-roof combustion chamber with a high 12.0:1
compression ratio with 26mm intake valves and 22mm exhaust valves
contributes both to the superb torque and high-rpm power of this
- Intake funnels for cylinders 2 and 3 are 25mm longer than the two
outside cylinders. This tuning trick helps maximize the engine’s
punchy torque delivery.
- The FZ8 inherits proven R1/FZ1 technologies, including forged
aluminum pistons, fracture split carburized connecting rods, and
- The 68.0mm bore and 53.6mm stroke specifications were carefully
chosen to maximize the strong torque characteristics, as was the
new crankshaft with optimized inertial mass.
- Wide-ratio 6-speed transmission has ideal ratios for the engine’s
- 4-into-2-into-1 exhaust system looks great and includes a catalytic
converter and O2 sensor. Short muffler is mounted low for great
looks and excellent mass centralization.
- Cast aluminum frame uses the engine as a stressed member and allows
for optimal rigidity balance, light weight, and superb handling.
Six engine-mounting points help provide superb longitudinal
- Controlled-Fill die-cast aluminum swing arm saves weight and is
tuned for excellent handling.
- 43mm inverted fork and a link-type Monocross shock with adjustable
preload for light and neutral handling characteristics.
- 310mm front discs, squeezed by monoblock four-piston calipers, and
a single 267mm rear disc offer strong stopping power.
- Aggressive chassis geometry with supersport-inspired 51 percent
front wheel weight bias. Provides light, nimble handling.
- The generous 4.5 gallon fuel tank, is short front to back, and
slender where it meets the rider. The foot pegs and handlebars are
also placed for a compact, rider-forward riding position that
contributes to the bike’s excellent handling.
- 5-spoke cast aluminum wheels contribute to the light and neutral
handling character. This bike sports a 120/70 ZR17 radial tire up
front, and a 180/55-ZR17 rear radial to complete the look and serve
up the traction.